Sunday, July 31, 2011

Purple Starry Nights nail art tutorial!

Hello everyone! I was in a purple mood and decided to play with my purple polishes to create an all OPI nail art - purple starry nights:


The base polish is Lincoln Park After Dark and can you believe I have never used this polish before? It has been sitting on my OPI rack for over a year now, untouched! I actually had to get my boyfriend to open the bottle because it would NOT budge. Anyway, to create this look I picked some some nice cream purples out from my OPI rack:


Left to right we have Lincoln Park After Dark, Funky Dunkey, Planks A Lot, Rumple's Wiggin' and Alpine Snow. I decided to put to rest my trusty China Glaze Snow until I can figure out how to 'ungloopify' it :P


As usual I started off with the thumb and an idea in mind. If we have succcess, I continue onto the other nails :-) The first step was to add a base coat of Lincoln Park After Dark (2 or 3 coats). It's a deep wine colour and a little bit glossy - I can't believe I haven't worn it before. It is gorgeous.


Using a fan shaped nail art brush, I painted onto the brush the next darkest colour - Funky Dunkey from the OPI Shrek Collection. Then I carefully brushed streaks of colour onto each finger, which ends up looking spikey due to the nail polish separating the brush into big strands.


I cleaned the fan brush and painted the next colour onto it and that was Planks A Lot from the OPI Pirates Collection earlier this year. You can see the gradient start to form.


Again, cleaned the brush and painted on the lightest colour, Rumple's Wiggin' another purple from the OPI Shrek Collection.


Time for decorating! I took my usual small nail art brush and carefully drew crescent moons with Alpine Snow, and went over them again to get them nice and bright.


Next I just added random dots for stars and a few 'shining' stars.


Last step was to add a top coat and we're all done!

I hope you enjoyed this look, it's not often I manage to use only one brand! I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend and I will see you all next time :-)

21 comments:

  1. I really like this, it's very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely brilliant! Gradient looks are my favorite. And I just happen to have every color that you used! :D I'm definitely going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cincly Thank you! You can't go wrong with purple :-D

    @Lindsay That is awesome, I'd love to see pictures when you do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mani & I love the colours of course! LPAD is one of my classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really pretty! I like it is so cute! The purple is great!
    I gave you some awards on my blog!<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, this is really good, i love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vita Thank you! Haha I had a feeling you would have it :-P

    @paint that nail Ooh thank you kindly! I have a backlog of awards posts to get though haha

    @nail crazy Thank you! I recently came across your blog and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I really love this look. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW these are amazing! :D Great job on these :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Liz Thank you, glad you like it!

    @All the pretty polish Thank you so much! I think I should do these kinds of looks more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh i love this! i love that you showed us how to do this too! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you like it Amanda! It's one of my faves so far :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so good. :) Never really knew what the fan brush was for until I saw this. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breena! I don't really know what the fan brush is for either but I figured this works :-D

      Delete
  14. I know how to un-goopify your polishes....a brand called Beauty Secrets sells polish thinner (I get it from Sally Beauty Supply here in the US) hope you can find it since I've rescued so many polishes with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena! I should really look into it, I'll probably have to buy online but that's no problem :-)

      Delete
  15. That's such a great idea! Tutorial please! I love how yours turns out.. please do a tutorial for the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your creativity. I especially love that this has tye crescent moon with stars as that was a signature symbol of my deceased brother who was a Stevie Nicks fan. Any chance you can recommend OPI colors in the fabulous Fall 2012 burgandy colors? Thanks again! Bella

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...