The snowflake has Orly Cosmic Kiss as a base which was used to capture the MAC pearl glitter (from the MAC A Tartan Tale thrillseekers cool pigments/glitter set).
These were all the products I used (missing the cotton tips and scotch/sticky tape):
The snowflakes came out surprisingly well for a first go! Here's a close up of the snowflake with and without flash:
So in love with this glitter art right now :-)
If you're interested in recreating this look and have some small scrapbook punches lying about, just follow these few steps:
- Apply 2-3 coats of nail polish then set with Seche Vite
- Take a piece of tape and very carefully punch it with a craft punch of your choice. Make sure it isn't too big for all your nails - the snowflake barely fit on my other nails!
- When you're sure the base polish has set, stick the tape stencil to your nail
- Take a clear/sheer polish and 'fill in' the stencil shape
- While the polish is still wet, quickly use a cotton tip and dip into the glitter and tap over the wet stencil
- Layer on as much as you like and brush off any excess.
- Very carefully peel the tape off - you might want to start from one side, stop at the middle then start from the other side.
- Finally when the stencil is off, add another layer of Seche Vite to set the glitter.
- You may be able to reuse a stencil for another nail but it's just as easy to stamp a new one for each nail.
Note - the final top coat will dull the glitter significantly, so you might want to try an alternative glitter base and/or add more glitter before the top coat.
Well I hope you enjoy this look and while it isn't winter here in Australia, we haven't had much of a summer with all the rain... so this dark look suits me well :-) Until next time...